The 250 GT Berlinetta, nicknamed the Long Wheelbase Berlinetta, was also called the Tour de France after competing in the 10-day Tour de France automobile race. Seventy-seven Tour de France cars were built, of which a number were sold for GT races from 1956 through 1959. Construction was handled by Carrozzeria Scaglietti based on a Pinin Farina design. The engine began at 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp) but eventually rose to 260 PS (191 kW; 256 hp). Pirelli Cinturato 165R400 tyres (CA67) were standard.